Saturday 2 April 2016

The Devil makes work for idle hands

Of course he does! So what's going to happen to me while out of work? Obviously I am applying for jobs, I'm networking, I'm speaking to people I think I need to speak to and I am exploring a whole host of new opportunities. I am trying to become a better man and make a difference.
That aside there are certain other opportunities to be seized. One of those opportunities is time. Time to spend with my family while they are off school during Easter. Time to relax. To recharge. Of course once relaxed and while recharging the mind can start to wonder. Ideas that were previously time restricted are given a fresh lease of life.
I've always fancied a multi marathon challenge like the Brathay 10in10 or similar. The problem in taking on a challenge like this (other than the fact I don't think I can do it) is time off work for the event itself and time to prepare to be able to do it. I've always thought a good 6 months of run training would be a minimum requirement. Over the last 6 months I've cycled a lot but done very little running. In March I have run about 10 short runs with a 6 miler and a 10 miler thrown in. I am far from marathon fit let alone multi day run fit.

I have a small (hopefully) window of opportunity whilst I am without employment but I won't have any real preparation time. Of course we see the likes of Eddie Izzard smashing 27 marathons with very little preparation and prior to that his 40 odd marathons in 50 odd days.
So, sensibly in my opinion, I ran a challenge by a few mates and none of them warned me off. They are the type though that eat challenges for breakfast. Probably not the best people to give me a sensible opinion. I'm particularly keen to take advantage of this opportunity because I don't think it is possible for me, based on my current run fitness, to do it.
As a nod to Eddie Izzard (a small nod in comparison) I will attempt 7 marathons in 7 days from Monday April 25 - Sunday May 1st. 7 different runs of 26.2 miles ending at the Lichfield Half Marathon which I will do twice for that days marathon. The Morph will return for this challenge so its a Morph Marathon Tour. I've not sorted the exact logistics but each marathon will have an early start and anyone who wants to run a mile or two with me at any stage will be more than welcome. If anyone wants to cycle alongside and carry some water or meet along the route that would be great too. In fact with pals scattered across the country I would like to get to run with as many of you as possible whether it's for a mile or 26.2!

I'm thinking the tour could start local with a canal run in or around Birmingham. I want to run along The Wirral Way. The Brutal marathon course around Snowdon has been suggested as has Devizes to Bath. I'd love to run the HOTH route for 26.2 miles and I fancy the Peak District perhaps the High Peaks Trail. I will then finish in Lichfield running with Mich.
I will be raising money for Birmingham Children's Hospital and their research and treatment of child brain tumours. I would love as many of my running/triathlon/normal pals to run a bit with me and help raise as much awareness and money as possible. What do you reckon? Morph Marathon Tour - who's in?

4 comments:

  1. Wirral way is on my doorstep keep my posted

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking like the dancing zebra morph can only manage Saturday 30th. Please be not too far from MK that day- need a long run and it would be fun!

    ReplyDelete