Thursday 24 October 2019

Equinox24 '19 - I knew she knew!

Equinox was hard. Really hard. In my head it always seems relatively straightforward and at 4mph (fast walk) 100 miles in 24 hrs is possible. In reality a lot of things have to fall in your favour to hit 100 miles (17 laps).
Good prep - mine was awful.
High level of fitness - couldn't be further from it.
Good training - in my dreams.
Free of injuries - not even close.
Stress free week build up with plenty of sleep - not a fuckin' chance.


Against the odds we did make it on Friday and Mich literally ran straight on stage to front The Detroits only 5 mins late at 8:05pm. Having been discharged from Hospital after a 2 day stay at 5:40pm. She had a 2 hr stress free adrenalin fuelled gig.


She hid her disappointment at not being able to run really well and we were both relieved we didn't have to put up a tent. The chaos of the day meant that instead of being in bed by 7pm it was nearer midnight. 
The following day I was stood on the start line, Gangster Morph, Trilby, no plan. Even by my standards I was ill prepared. I was thinking I'd be happy with my calves allowing one lap before the event. As it turned out it was a challenge just to make the start line. Once there and after being given the 'I'll be fine and you'll be fine' hug from Mich, I set off with the intention of doing one lap and see how it goes.


Powered almost entirely by the shared strength of those alongside me and the generous encouragement from those supporting I managed 7 laps, 3 sleeps, lots of laughs and some swearing. Unfortunately, decent mileage was never gonna happen as by lap 3 the heat had got to me, I was pissing creasote and I was ridiculously tired. I've fallen asleep in the Morphsuit whilst walking at Equinox before but it usually happens during the early hours of the morning or towards the end. I was worried this was happening 4 hrs in! Lap 4 was better after a Jacket Spud and 40 mins with Mich but fatigue was overwhelming. I had a break then lap 5 was a night lap. Then a sleep on a food bench. Another break and then lap 6 and 7 completed up to mid day arriving back to Johnny at 12:03pm missing the offer of #onemorelap by 3 mins. 7 laps is not to be sniffed at. My personal goals are ludicrously unrealistic but the reality is you can only do what you can do based on the circumstances you face on the day. The truth is I simply didn't have the strength of mind to endure. To push through the pain and fatigue. On reflection I'm happy with 7. It's better than 4 which it very nearly was and it's a world away from 3 which the whole of my body and the waffling space where my brain should be wanted it to be, teasing me to stop. It was like the devil himself, whilst sat comfortably on my shoulder, was offering comfort and respite and it could all stop if I just took his hand.


The people I run with make it possible. Not just the solos but everyone. We're all busting a gut out there. From flashes of Dennis the Menaces passing by with supportive shouts, to putting the world to rights with Wendy, to being humbled to tears by Rosemary (the Morphsuit hides a world of emotion 😜), to photo opportunities and hugs with fellow Equinoxers, to a shared hatred of That Hill, to teams whizzing by with a word of encouragement Aldridge, Simon Heroes, Shabbas, Poppyfields, to the lady sobbing her way down the back straight as part of a team who, when asked if she was OK, said "it just means so much to me". I could do no more than give her a hug and tell her I was proud of her before finishing the last 500 metres of that lap with tears streaming down my face, to laps catching up with old pals with great stories and personal triumphs, to having to take a moment to gather myself after a runner said they'd done Outlaw because of my Bmx exploits and from that had seen me tackle Equinox and thought it seemed like a good idea to have a crack at it too.


The supporters make it a joy. The power up signs that I can't read through the Morphsuit, the comments made that they think I can't hear because of the suit, the banter, the "see you in 40 mins", the shared fire pits, the hi fives and the low ones from the little ones, the kids running alongside in their Ironman suits (I had suit envy) and the constant bombardment of encouragement. 


Then of course family make it complete. The hugs, the tears, the crewing, the winks and the knowing looks. I got one from Mich as I started the back straight for the last time. She knew, I knew, she knew I knew and I knew that she knew too. A mental challenge of mine is to always run the field. Always. She hugged me as I went by and then got across to the finish to be there for my finish. Her strength is unimaginable at times. I take from her as much as I can to do the best I can. I was so pleased to fall into her arms at the end I nearly forgot my medal.


I've gotta shout out Johnny and Laura and their crew as well as Glenn and his and the shops, massage and food outlets. I called on all of them to get me through this at various stages. Matt from Pop Top Kitchen who fed me all weekend (apart from the spud) finally broke me at 12:30 Sunday when, having just finished and sat down, he brought my food over to me instead of me going to collect it and within the wrap (which was the Paul McGrath of breakfast wraps) were some ££'s for the charities.
I've said it before and I'll say it again its the best way to spend a weekend. I don't know how Johnny and Laura do it but just keep doing it.
I'm done with fundraising after 9 years. During that time you lot have raised shed loads. You lot have changed lives for the better. You've almost certainly saved lives. Thank you, sincerely, for your generosity of both hard earned cash and of spirit. I'm taking a break. I've stuff to deal with and a body to repair. I'll be back at Equinox in some capacity for sure but I won't be running again unless I've trained injury free. Thank you.
To those that don't like my sponsorship requests, my begging, or the way I tackle challenges (apparently its disrespectful to the sport) you can rest easy your timeline will be free......for now! 👍 Morph out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment