Wednesday 19 March 2014

Altruistic Wankeyness?

"In spite of anything that Kevin Spacey may have said, the greatest trick The Devil ever pulled was NOT his convincing people that he doesn't exist, it was turning cancer into a method for people to seek attention for themselves under the guise of altruism while fattening the wallets of corporations. People will step over the bodies of those who are suffering and dying to preserve for themselves the right to feel good about being a hero for "raising awareness". This is the most loathsome and unforgivable form of wankery in the history of mankind."

I saw this posted by someone on FB in response to a status questioning the value of no make up selfies (cant believe selfies is a word - I shake my head) particularly those without donation. It made me wonder am I a loathsome wankery form of mankind?

Of course I had to look up altruism ( the principle or practice of unselfish concern for or devotion to the welfare of others) & that led me to wonder if I fall under that guise.

I am now not sure about anything. I cringe at the use of the word 'hero' in relation to anybody pissing about in trainers, on a bike or in a pool like I do. Its not even as if I am any good at what I do! Now I worry am I just fattening the wallets of corporations? Should I be asking people to donate to a charity of my choice? Do I know where the money goes? What is the point?

I do know where the money goes. If you have given money to Birmingham Childrens Hospital via Poppyfields I know it has bought a bed for the high dependency unit. I know it has bought a colour image scanner which can lower the need for investigative brain surgery. I know it has directly funded researchers in Dr Peets department as they look into ways to treat child brain tumours. Of course it is a whole different argument as to whether charity should fund any of this while politicians piss BILLIONS of pounds up the wall as they try and make a name for themselves in history. Warmonger Blair, HS2 (all of them), Afghanistan, Expenses, general wasted money etc etc. Does the fact that charity provides funding rather than government or massively profitable organisations line the pockets of both?

If you have given to Children with Cancer UK the money is used in a very similar way. For example they are currently funding a massive drive in relation to Brain Tumour research.

Then you wonder does it work? I've never had cancer so I don't know (I don't think a bit of BCC on the face counts).  My mom died of cancer in 1987, first diagnosed with Breast Cancer and then after it appeared she had beaten that she suffered a Brain Tumour which took her life. Developments since then would give her a massively improved chance of survival nearly 30 years on. Would those advances have been made without charity?

Currently my Dad his battling two Primary cancers (quite rare - usually one kicks off and spreads elsewhere). A rectal tumour and Prostate cancer. He started chemo and radiotherapy this week. Once done the tumour will be removed and the prognosis is that he should make a full recovery. I wonder if that would have been the case 30 years ago? Has charity helped advance things that are now helping my Dad? I don't know but I think you have to trust that it has! He is very relaxed about it all and positive. There is an element of 'what will be will be' and a 'they will zap it and remove it' job done attitude! Is that heroic? It is dealing with the situation that has been forced upon him in the best way he knows how. My opinion? Its pretty heroic to me because its the manner in which such shit is tackled that defines heroism. Poppy, for example, is always smiling. She has had no choice over how her Brain Tumour has been dealt with but it is the manner in which she has faced it that is heroic in my eyes.

I don't really know what I am trying to say? Is it worth running London in a Morphsuit to 'raise awareness' and money for Children with Cancer UK? Is it worth cajoling 140 strangers into exercising everyday to raise money for Birmingham Childrens Hospital? Is it worth a bit of pain and discomfort to swim, ride and run for 16 hours 45 mins in the hope that a couple of grand is raised and put to good use?

Then, of course, there are all the other worthy charities both home and abroad. When you raise £50,000,000 plus on the back of a night of celebrity comedy or sport and celebrity self promotion is that more worthy? Less worthy? Is anybody truly altruistic? Does anybody truly practice unselfish concern for or devotion to the welfare of others? Whether they do or not does the money raised have any less value?

I think the point being made by the original post was that you need to cough up the cash as well as posting a pic. We are all aware (we choose whether or not to acknowledge it) but for the campaign to work the dough has to be donated. At least that is how I am taking it to at least lower my level of wankeryness!

I don't want the right to feel good about myself. That purely comes from within. After all, if you do something to gain the perception from others that you're doing a good thing then you are probably doing the deed for the wrong reasons anyway. The outcome will still be that the outside perception of good is only a cover and you won't feel good about yourself anyway.

Awareness raised? Funds raised? Good done? Support appreciated? I don't know the answers.

I'll Morph London again and I will feel good as I watch Michelle run her first marathon too. I will have a good feeling made up of pride. If we raise some funds that are put to good use and improve some lives then I will be pleased to have done so. I am not altruistic but if my selfish pursuit of adventure has a by product of help then perhaps I can become a better man?

I hope I am not stepping over the bodies of those who are suffering in my pursuit of attention but then maybe I am?

Have a watch of this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImppwzMTRPc and depending on whether you could make any sense of my blog or if you have reached a conclusion that encourages you to donate and if donating works and is right then text 'MORF72 £1' to 70070. Children with Cancer will benefit and hopefully spend it wisely.






No comments:

Post a Comment